Current:Home > InvestUS Coast Guard says investigation into Titan submersible "will take longer than initially projected" -LegacyCapital
US Coast Guard says investigation into Titan submersible "will take longer than initially projected"
Oliver James Montgomery View
Date:2025-04-06 14:41:49
The U.S. Coast Guard continues to investigate the factors that led to the implosion of the Titan submersible while on a descent to view the wreckage of the Titanic, killing all five people aboard.
Tuesday marks one year since the Titan sub, which was owned and operated by OceanGate Expeditions, lost contact with the Polar Prince, a Canadian research vessel, about one hour and 45 minutes into its voyage in the North Atlantic.
On Friday, the U.S. Coast Guard Marine Board of Investigation said in an update that its investigation is a "complex and ongoing effort" that will take longer than initially projected.
"We are working closely with our domestic and international partners to ensure a comprehensive understanding of the incident," board chair Jason Neubauer said in a statement.
The Marine Board of Investigation said several factors, including the need to contract two salvage missions to secure vital information, have led to necessary delays and extended the original 12-month timeline for the investigation.
"We're grateful for the international and interagency cooperation which has been vital in recovering, preserving and forensically testing evidence from a remote offshore region and extreme depth," Neubauer said. "The MBI is committed to ensuring that we fully understand the factors that led to this tragedy in order to prevent similar occurrences in the future."
After the Titan sub lost contact with the Polar Prince, a massive international search and rescue effort was launched over several days because of the limited amount of oxygen that would be aboard the sub if it had become trapped beneath the surface.
However, on June 22, 2023, the Coast Guard announced that the sub had experienced a "catastrophic loss of the pressure chamber," during its descent. It confirmed that the Titan's debris was located about 900 nautical miles east of Cape Cod, Massachusetts.
Those who died in the implosion were OceanGate CEO Stockton Rush, Pakistani businessman Shahzada Dawood, his 19-year-old son Suleman, billionaire adventurer Hamish Harding and French explorer Paul-Henri Nargeolet.
OceanGate suspended all operations in early July 2023. The company, which charged $250,000 per person for a voyage aboard the Titan, had been warned of potential safety problems for years.
In October, the Coast Guard announced it recovered "additional presumed human remains" and what is believed to be the last of the debris from the Titan.
- In:
- Oceans
- United States Coast Guard
- Titanic
- Submersible
Lucia Suarez Sang is an associate managing editor at CBSNews.com. Previously, Lucia was the director of digital content at FOX61 News in Connecticut and has previously written for outlets including FoxNews.com, Fox News Latino and the Rutland Herald.
TwitterveryGood! (8)
Related
- Sarah J. Maas books explained: How to read 'ACOTAR,' 'Throne of Glass' in order.
- Taylor Swift and Travis Kelce's Romantic Dates Prove They're on a Winning Streak
- Celtics rally late again to close out Pacers for 4-0 sweep in Eastern Conference finals
- 2024 NCAA baseball tournament bracket: Road to College World Series unveiled
- Taylor Swift Cancels Austria Concerts After Confirmation of Planned Terrorist Attack
- To Incinerate Or Not To Incinerate: Maryland Hospitals Grapple With Question With Big Public Health Implications
- Massachusetts man arrested after stabbing attack in AMC theater, McDonald's injured 6 people
- Nobody hurt after plane’s engine catches fire at Chicago O’Hare airport
- $73.5M beach replenishment project starts in January at Jersey Shore
- Lightning strike kills Colorado rancher and 34 head of cattle
Ranking
- USA women's basketball live updates at Olympics: Start time vs Nigeria, how to watch
- AEW Double or Nothing 2024: Results, match grades, highlights and more for chaotic show
- Fans in Portugal camp out 24 hours before Eras Tour show to watch Taylor Swift
- Rodeo star Spencer Wright's son opens eyes, lifts head days after river accident
- Google unveils a quantum chip. Could it help unlock the universe's deepest secrets?
- For American clergy, the burdens of their calling increasingly threaten mental well-being
- Bradley Cooper performs 'A Star Is Born' song with Pearl Jam at BottleRock music festival
- Fans in Portugal camp out 24 hours before Eras Tour show to watch Taylor Swift
Recommendation
Google unveils a quantum chip. Could it help unlock the universe's deepest secrets?
American arrested for bringing ammo to Turks and Caicos released, others await sentencing
Indiana vs. Las Vegas highlights: A’ja Wilson steals show against Caitlin Clark
Cpl. Jessica Ellis died in Iraq helping others. Her father remembers his daughter and the ultimate sacrifices military women make on Memorial Day.
Eva Mendes Shares Message of Gratitude to Olympics for Keeping Her and Ryan Gosling's Kids Private
Jason Kelce Responds to Criticism Over Comments on Harrison Butker Controversy
European space telescope photos reveal new insights in deep space
Suspected assassin for Sinaloa drug cartel known as El Nini extradited to U.S.